What does it mean to you to be brave? Is it taming a lion with nothing but a feather duster and some Juicy Fruit gum? How about resisting the urge to eat all of the Ben & Jerry’s in one sitting? ( that is brave, if you ask me) I think there are lots of things that people do everyday that are incredibly brave – for some, just getting out of bed and managing to put one foot in front of the other and heading out into the world is an act of tremendous courage. We all have our own battles – some of us struggle more than others, but we all endure things that challenge our faith, our beliefs, and our sense of self. This is something that has come up in my world lately – I feel like things are going on around me (and involving me, inadvertently) that really go against who I am and what I stand for, and I’m left looking for a way to step away, out of the fire, and just get back to what is important to me. I’ve spoken before of my desire to simplify my life as much as possible, and so far this process is going okay. I’m also making a conscious effort to get the hell out of the way when I see stupidity and drama unfolding before me, whereas in the past I would step right into the fray in an attempt to help keep the peace. Stupid. I may be the sister of a peace-keeping Mountie, but I am not one myself. I really need to learn my place in this world. 😦
Anyway, something really awesome landed in my Inbox today – I receive daily emails from super-fab person Danielle LaPorte (if you aren’t familiar with her, do yourself a favor and seek her out – her attitude about stuff is AMAZING!! Plus she’s Canadian, so you know that she’s good people.), and the one today was a whopper! 🙂 Here it is:
Want more and be kind… and 10 other points on success.
1. Want more*. (Inner peace, greater clarity, outer beauty, awesome stuff — want anything you want.)
2. Have an idea, or two or three, about how to get more. Act on that idea over and over again.
3. Hang out with people you can easily adore, or at least respect.
4. Be kind. No matter what. (You can be kind and strong. You will need to be strong.)
6. Tell people what you’re doing that’s working. (This is optional, but it helps.)
7. Keep slaying what’s not working. (“Thank you and goodbye, I’m focused on incredible.”)
8. Have a party when you get what you want. (Kitchen disco. Close your eyes and smile. Throw a global launch extravaganza. Nap. Eat cake.)
9. Let gratitude ooze out of your pores. Be utterly dripping with Thank Yous.
10. Share what you just got with others.
11. Keep wanting more.
* Want it with all your heart.
Don’t you love that??! I do – massively. We all need to be more kind, we need to let gratitude ooze out of us (I love the way she words that like you wouldn’t believe)…and we need to share our good fortune and celebrate the ever-loving crap out of it. There’s so much misery that’s going on in this world these days (turn on the news if you don’t believe me….it’s heartbreaking the things that go on around us), but there are good things, too. They deserve to be celebrated. 🙂 It’s important to surround yourself with people who make you happy, for life is too short to be miserable because of someone else, don’t you think? 🙂
I hope that you will take a moment today to think about what you want more of in your life – love, happiness, friendship, Ben & Jerry’s (apparently I’m going to need to hit the grocery store on the way home today….I’m hungry for ice cream!), whatever it is….and start creating a plan on how you can make that happen for you. I can’t wait to hear how it goes! 🙂