I’ve never been a big astrology believer, but lately something has been going on. Turns out that Mercury is in retrograde. Now before you think I’ve gone over the edge of batshit, read this little description from the lovely Gala Darling:
You are here, AGAIN. You have arrived on our collective doorsteps in all your messy glory. You are our dreaded but regular house-guest. You stagger in the door, kick over our furniture, leave crumbs all over the couch & hog the bathroom. Then, as quickly as you appeared, you disappear again, leaving us slightly stunned but much better equipped to continue with our own lives!
If you have no idea what I’m talking about, here we go. The planets are swinging around at all times, & their movements affect us all in different ways. All planets go retrograde, but Mercury’s journey seems to impact people much more than any other. (Even people who “don’t believe in astrology” often “believe” in the crazy aftershocks of Mercury retrograde!)
Why is that? It’s because Mercury rules communication, clear thinking, truth & travel, so when the planet goes retrograde — which means that it looks like it’s going backwards in the sky — all those things go backwards. They start to get ugly & tangle up. Mercury isn’t really going backwards, it’s just hanging out by the sun, but from Earth, that makes it look like it’s in reverse. It typically runs for a couple of weeks, a few times a year.
Interesting, yes? What do you think – is there something to this? Here’s how Gala describes the goings-on during this time:
It’s like everyone you know has suddenly gone mad! You might find yourself getting into bizarre arguments about nothing at all, being unable to finish sentences or barely even able to form a coherent thought. Your computer & other electronic equipment is more likely to go on the fritz. You could experience travel delays, too. Double-check your flights & take a book with you to keep you occupied while you wait for the train! We don’t tend to get all the information we need at this time, so it can be hard to make big decisions & it’s not always the best time to sign a contract, either.
I often find that Mercury retrograde makes me want to go into hermit mode. I feel like half my brain is missing so I’m really not that interested in interacting with anyone, plus every conversation seems to go in an unusual, confusing direction. I feel much more irritable & frustrated & things just don’t seem to go how I want them to.
So that’s the bad news. Mercury retrograde can be a total kick in the teeth for those of us who normally pride ourselves on having our karmic shit together! The GOOD news is that Mercury retrograde provides us with lots of beautiful opportunities if we can just tilt our head & squint.
Mercury retrograde wants us to move back spiritually. It is providing us with a chance to re-examine various areas of our life which may need a little more work, so that we can move forward to a bright new dawn. Now, more than ever, the time is right to look at things with clear eyes. Delicious, fresh perspectives are revealed. We often have major breakthroughs — intellectual, emotional or spiritual — during this time.
It’s also a terrific period in which to tie up loose ends. So many of us have unfinished projects… Maybe that door just needs another lick of paint, or you’ll decide to put away your ex-boyfriend’s love letters once & for all. Having said that, this is also a time where it’s very common for old lovers, friends & acquaintances to get in touch! If you hear from someone from your past, get together with them & see what eventuates!
One of the best ways to cope with it — as with anything, really — is to just “go with the flow”. When you fight Mercury retrograde, that’s when life gets really ugly. Just take some time, go slowly, be careful, don’t freak yourself out by expecting to be uber-productive-perfect right now. Be good to yourself & the people around you, now more than ever!
I can’t relate to this part most of all: I feel like half my brain is missing so I’m really not that interested in interacting with anyone, plus every conversation seems to go in an unusual, confusing direction. I feel much more irritable & frustrated & things just don’t seem to go how I want them to. I have felt irritated by most everyone lately, and I can’t really put my finger on exactly what it is that’s bugging me. Perhaps it’s not me at all…maybe it’s Mercury??! 😉 I’ve been feeling compelled to stay home more than usual (that’s a compulsion that I rarely feel), and I’ve been craving my own company far more than I usually do…who knows what’s up and going on? Anyway – here are a whole bunch of tips courtesy of Gala for dealing with this whole retrograde thing:
- Renew your vows
- Clean out your closet (I so need to do this)
- Look up an old love or your ex-best friend
- Forgive and forget
- Take a fabulous holiday (I could sure use this, too)
- Relax and take care of yourself (I never do this, sadly – I should)
- Rejuvenate your living space (I’m trying! I have a new door handle – thanks D & T!!!)
- Work on your CV or personal mission statement (my attitude kind of sucks at the moment, so I imagine my mission statement would involve trying not to punch people in the face)
- Read old journals
- Get a bit nostalgic with old music and movies
- Be sure not to take things too personally. People will often say offensive things they didn’t mean around this time, because their thinking is clouded & their communication skills are on pause! If your best friend suddenly became the most insensitive person in the world, give her the benefit of the doubt.
- Back up your data!
- Don’t purchase any big-ticket items, because they will often have flaws or issues that you weren’t aware of! Of course, life doesn’t stop just because of wacky planetary movement, so if you absolutely have to get that car, computer or iPhone, TRIPLE-check all the paperwork, & make sure you have a warranty!
- Take things with a grain of salt. Everyone is a bit confused, & people are much more inclined to change their mind once Mercury goes direct. Mercury can be a bit of a trickster — could it be that the next few weeks are a big karmic joke?!
- Read the small print on any contracts. Ask lots of questions. Again, you can’t put your life on hold just because of some silly planet, but adapt your lifestyle a bit so that things run more smoothly. Communication can be a mess right now, but do your best to get as much information as you can.
- Finish things you started a while ago. Home improvement projects? Wardrobe re-organisations? Short stories? Love affairs?! This is an excellent time to tie up loose ends & file things away forever.
- Get together with old friends, reminisce & laugh!
- Double-check any information you’re given, especially as relates to travel arrangements! During one particularly formidable Mercury retrograde, I actually caught a cab to the wrong airport! Check times, delays, baggage allowances, reservations… everything!
- Allow Mercury to nudge you in unusual directions. If you seem to find yourself “back to the future”, don’t just try to wriggle out of it — look at what the universe is trying to show you. What can you learn from this situation? This is a fantastic time to re-examine, accept & move on.
- Use the things you’ve discovered in the past to create a dazzling new vision so that you’re ready to blast ahead when Mercury goes direct!
Yes, friends, I know that this is all rather hippy-dippy, but…perhaps sometimes that’s a good thing, don’t you think? 🙂 I don’t know about you, but I know that I definitely could use a vacation, and I desperately need to devote some time to myself and doing what makes me happy – I spend a lot of time and energy on meeting the needs of everyone else around me, making myself available, going out of my way for them…and very little comes back. I need to put some of my time/effort/money into ME for a change – and let the rest of the world fend for itself. Seems like a solid plan, yes? 🙂 As for the organizational things – well, I absolutely need to tend to those. My house is in a shambles like never before at the moment – I’m just not there enough to get a handle on all of the shit that needs to be done…and that chaos is affecting me and bringing me down. Time for a re-org and a change!!!! 🙂
What do you think of all of this, friends? Are you a believer or a sceptic? I can’t wait to hear your thoughts! 🙂 In the meantime, if you need me – I will be going straight home from work today to tackle my closet. What a friggin’ job…. 😦
PS: Did you happen to see the super moon last weekend? A-ma-zing! 🙂 Check out this picture: